Monday, January 26, 2009

Daphne's Hat

As if I don't have enough knitting to do without adding new projects, I went to the local knit shop on Saturday to pick up some short length size 6 double-points. Could I just buy what I went in for? Oh, my, no. Of course not. I came out with a couple of skeins of Berocco Peruvia and some contrasting Eros to make my daughter a felted hat.

A few weeks ago, she had borrowed an adorable felted hat with rhinestones adorning it, from a friend. It looked great on her and she loved it, but alas! It did have to go back to its rightful home. so I said, well, maybe someday. I know I have a copy of that Fiber Trends pattern somewhere...

So, Saturday morning I started cleaning the sideboard counter in the kitchen, which had gotten waaaaaaaay out of control, paper-trail-wise, and lo and behold...there was the Fiber Trends pattern. The rest, as they say, is history.
Yes, yes, it's a little big and Daphne looks like the medieval executioner, sans eyeholes in her hood, but an hour or so later....
There. That's better, isn't it? Except I was a little impatient to be done with the felting and it really could do with a wee bit more shrinking. Or, since Daphne is only 13, I'm guessing her head circumference will increase a bit in the next couple of years.

Anyway, this has to have been one of my fastest start-to-finish projects yet. I began knitting on Saturday afternoon around 1 PM, and the hat was shrunk and drying on the hat stand by 8 PM Sunday evening. It's still a little damp as I type, but Daphne doesn't seem to mind and has been wearing it for the last couple of hours.
P.S. -- I've got to get more of this yarn and make a hat like this for ME!!!!! Perhaps a different color, or perhaps the same, but I'll put some kind of distinguishing trim on it so we know whose is whose...

1 comment:

Iris said...

Really cute! That is the best kind of project - the one that is done before you even realize you started it. All that thinking about it just gets in the way.