Sunday, June 06, 2010

Ladies and Gents, Do You Remember...?

Here he is. I found him at long last, after many, many searches. Thank God for detailed eBay listings with lots of photographs! Meet, and reacquaint yourself with, "The Dud."
Funny, the things some of these searches will lead a person to. Nothing bad in this case, just surprising. You see, it turns out I am not the only girl who thought "The Dud" was hot.

I did not play "Mystery Date" that often. I never owned the game. "Barbie, Queen of the Prom" and "Miss Lively Livin'" were more than enough of that sort of thing, thank you very much! But I did end up playing "Mystery Date" a few times with some of my school chums. I can't remember if I ever confessed to my attraction to "The Dud." Heck, I don't remember if I ever got to a point where I acquired all the necessary pieces/cards to open the damn door. But someone else must have gotten a "date" with this fella, 'cause I do remember thinking he was not. Bad. A-tall. Certainly looked as if he'd be a lot more fun to hang around with than "The Dreamboat."

There is a song coming out of this, just as I got one from my memories of other toys and games awhile back. I have tunes now for both songs: "I
Want to Date the Dud" and "Chant of the Ever-Circling Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots." Trouble is, I am having a hard time getting a decent recording together. When I do, you all who turn up here to read will be the first to know.

It's all your "fault," Grant. You and your "Flexible Flyer." I am now having way too much fun reminiscing about old toys and games. (Bless you, dearie...)

Next up for consideration is something having to do with my favorite childhood toy: a Fisher Price Garbage Dump/Garage playset, which, Lord help us all, I found pictures of online last week. My favorite of the three Garbagemen? The grumpy-looking one who, for some unknown reason, I named "Stew." Spelled that way. I was always adamant about that, even at age 4 or 5. He wasn't "Stu." He was "Stew." And here he is, in all his curmudgeonly grandeur!
Why "Stew?" I guess I wasn't overly fond of beef stew back in the day, and maybe his face made me think of the way I felt about beef stew? Who knows. It's just a guess. I was 4 or 5 at the time, and I am 48 now. Memory can be a wee bit wonky at times.

I do remember that my mother did not want to buy this for me, but I would have no other, and she had promised I would get a toy at the end of the shopping day if I behaved. This was the one I was fixated upon, and nothing -- nothing! -- would change my obstinate little mind!
What kind of toy was this for a girl to have? Well, in ma's opinion, a horrible one, but a desire to be done with shopping saved the day for me. This was a wonderful toy for a girl to have! I made up more stories about these fellas.

Ah, those were the days. I don't have this toy in my possession anymore, but I am very glad I found these pictures. Stored on the hard drive, they don't take up any room at all, and they bring back some very fond memories!

No comments: